Master of Science in Music Technology
The Master of Science in Music Technology (MSMT) curriculum provides post-baccalaureate education in areas of computer-based music technology, multimedia and interactive design and multimedia production techniques. The primary objective of the program is to bring new and emerging digital arts technologies to students as they relate to a new discipline defined as music technology. The curriculum establishes the creative application of multimedia technology to video, audio and graphic production of arts and educational materials. Included in this field are foundations, methods and theoretical courses which underpin the development of production skills required in using technology in a creative environment.
Coursework for this degree includes required core courses and elective courses within a cognate field. Elective courses allow students to explore business applications common to music, industry and arts education. Students may select courses to fulfill the cognate field area from an approved courselist in the areas of business, communications, computer science, education, fine arts, law or others with the approval of the department and advisor. The degree program does not include technical training in sound engineering, preparation in engineering nor scientific areas of computer science or electrical engineering.
- Submission of the online application to the University
- Submission of the Music and Arts Technology application
- Bachelor's degree and evidence of substantial music instruction, performance and literacy
- All official transcripts of undergraduate and graduate study
- Minimum Grade Point Average of 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale) for the undergraduate degree
- Performance videotape, audio cassette, CD, DVD or on-campus audition on a musical instrument or conducting of a music ensemble
- Three letters of recommendation in support of the application (they may be on business letterhead, submitted through the online application link, or from the recommendation forms included in the Music and Arts Technology application packet)
- Any additional information that demonstrates personal experience in music technology and musicianship (e.g., authored CDs or websites, original compositions)
- In-person or telephone interview with the Head of Graduate Studies
- $50 application fee ($60 for an International applicant), payable through the online application.
Please note: The GRE is recommended but not required for admission to the MSMT program. It is required for applicants seeking a University Graduate Scholarship or Fellowship as a full-time student.
International applicants from other than English speaking countries must take the TOEFL.
30 credit hours* for degree, including:
- 18 credit hours in Core courses (at the 500 level or above);
- 6 credit hours in Cognate courses (at the 400 level) to be selected from Music, Business, Education, Communications, Computer Science, Fine Arts, and Liberal Arts;
- 6 hours of approved electives (at the 400 level or above) from the cognate field or other fields with approval from the head of the graduate studies.
Minimum grade point average:
- 3.0 average to continue;
- No grades lower than "B" in core courses and cognate fields will be counted toward the degree
- No grades lower than "C" will be counted toward the degree;
- Residency requirement (on-campus student only), 3 consecutive summers or 1 summer and a contiguous academic term.