Master of Science in Music Therapy
The IUPUI Master of Science in Music Therapy is the first totally online Masters degree in Music Therapy. There is no travel required for this degree, no trips to campus, no extra fees for room & board. The degree is especially convenient for board-certified music therapists who work full time but still want to pursue graduate work or who cannot move their families to a university campus. The program uses both synchronous and asynchronous technologies to provide instructional time and build a sense of community.
Music therapists accepted in the MSMTh program will learn advanced research skills enhancing their critical analysis and integration of current research findings to clinical practice. Additionally, music therapists will learn how to utilize the vast array of tools available in music technology. Within music therapy practice and research, music technology can: 1) facilitate the collection and analysis of data generated during clinical sessions; 2) apply compositional and improvisational techniques with patients, and; 3) exploit the multi-mediated environment of the MIDI workstation where visual, auditory, and tactile senses can work interchangeably to support therapeutic strategies.
Students in the Master's program are required to take thirty hours of courses including music therapy, music technology, and elective courses. Music therapy courses focus on research methods, theory and scholarship as they relate to research, clinical practice, statistics, and to the thesis. The music technology core includes principles of production using music technology, Music Instrument Digital Interface (MIDI)-based music applications for composition and improvisation, and multimedia production including visual and sound resources.
- Evidence of music therapy board-certification
- Minimum Grade Point Average of 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale) for the undergraduate degree
- Submission of the University online application (Apply Here)
- Submission of the Music and Arts Technology application
- All official transcripts of undergraduate and graduate study
- Three letters of recommendation in support of the application (they may be on business letterhead or submitted through the online application link)
- Any information that demonstrates personal experience in music technology and musicianship (e.g., authored CDs or websites, original compositions)
- In-person or telephone interview with the Coordinator of Music Therapy
Please note: The GRE is recommended but not required for admission to the MSMT program. It is required for applicants seeking a University Graduate Scholarship or Fellowship as a full-time student.
International applicants from other than English speaking countries must take the TOEFL.
30 credit hours* for degree, including:
- 18 credit hours in Core courses (at the 500 level or above);
- 6 credit hours in Cognate courses (at the 400 level) to be selected from Music, Business, Education, Communications, Computer Science, Fine Arts, and Liberal Arts;
- 6 hours of approved electives (at the 400 level or above) from the cognate field or other fields with approval from the head of the graduate studies.
Minimum grade point average:
- 3.0 average to continue;
- No grades lower than "B" in core courses and cognate fields will be counted toward the degree
- No grades lower than "C" will be counted toward the degree;
- Residency requirement (on-campus student only), 3 consecutive summers or 1 summer and a contiguous academic term.