Degree Programs

Music Therapy: Equivalency Program

If you have at least a bachelor's degree in music from an NASM approved school, you can take the courses needed to meet the AMTA and CBMT competencies for entry level practice and qualify to sit for the board certification exam. The number of hours needed to complete this program depends on the courses you took during your undergraduate degree program.

If you are interested in the Master’s of Science program, but are not a board-certified music therapist, you must first take this equivalency certificate program prior to applying for the Master’s of Science in Music Therapy.


  • Therapy University Application to the Post-baccalaureate Certificate in Music (this is a post-baccalaureate non-degree certificate)
  • Admission interview
  • Music proficiency audition
  • Academic transcript review

Program application requirements

  • Completed Bachelor's degree in music
  • Submission of the Dept of Music and Arts Technology Music Therapy Equivalency application
  • All official transcripts of undergraduate and graduate study
  • Minimum Grade Point Average of 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale) for the undergraduate degree
  • Performance videotape, audio cassette, CD, DVD or on-campus audition on a musical instrument including 3 standard popular songs, sung and played on piano or guitar.
  • Three letters of recommendation in support of the application (they may be on business letterhead, submitted through the online application link, or from the recommendation forms included in the Music and Arts Technology application packet)
  • In-person or telephone interview with the Coordinator of Music Therapy Studies
  • University application fee, payable through the online application

NOTE: The Music Therapy Equivalency program is an on campus curriculum. The equivalency program is not offered online.

Student Consumer Information About this Program

See Also